Staff at Fairtrade at St. Michaels were delighted to meet Mona El-Sayed (left), Director of Fair Trade Egypt at their shop during Fairtrade Fortnight. Thank you to Silvia (right) and our friends at RISC for arranging this visit. She was accompanied by Carol Wills (second right) from the Oxford Fairtrade Coalition. Mona spoke about setting up Fair Trade Egypt, and also the role of women since the Arab Spring. Here they are with shop manager, Daniella (centre).
Don’t forget to buy your Fairtrade Easter Eggs for next weekend from your local Fair Trade Shops – there is a great range to choose from including mini eggs for hunting, indulgently large eggs for sharing, and dairy free chocolate eggs* so no one feels left out!
*available at Fairtrade at St Michaels
ZAYTOUN WINS GLOBAL AWARD FOR OUTSTANDING WORK WITH PALESTINIAN OLIVE FARMERS
We offer our congratulations to Zaytoun, producer of delicious fairtrade products, which has been awarded Global Trader 2016 by Fairtrade International . Manal Ramadan stated: “Fairtrade has transformed the lives of over 2,500 olive farming families, guaranteeing them the sale of their entire crop at a fair price. Our challenge now is to grow the demand for the olive oil to enable thousands more families to join the movement and reap the benefits of this sustainable ethical trade model.” There is an article on the Fairtrade Foundation website with more information.
Local Oxford fair trade shops (Fairtrade at St.Michaels and The Windmill) sell a wide range of Zaytoun products including olive oil, dates, almonds cous cous, za’atar and smoked freekah.
Fairtrade Fortnight 2016 – Sit down for breakfast. Stand up for farmers -is highlighting the severe lack of food security for farmers around the world, bringing together shoppers, campaigners and businesses to take action.
Get Involved in Oxford:
- The Windmill fairtrade shop in Headington is supporting a Fairtrade Breakfast on Saturday 5th March www.headingtonfairtrade.org.uk
- The Handle Bar Café in St. Michaels Street is providing fairtrade breakfasts during the fortnight
- The Quakers will provide a fairtrade breakfast following their early morning Quaker Meetings at 43 St Giles, Oxford 7.30am until 8.00am on Tuesdays and Thursdays during Fairtrade Fortnight
- Trading for Development (Judith Condor-Vidal) is having a fairtrade breakfast for parents and toddlers on the 10th March at 9 am at the Jericho Community Centre. For information please go to http://www.tradingfordevelopment.co.uk
- Fairtrade at St. Michaels fairtrade shop is offering a range of tastings and discounts on breakfast products during the fortnight www.fairtradeatstmichaels.co.uk
- Oxford University Debate 3rd March ‘How Fair is Fairtrade?’ Carol Wills, Chair of the Oxford Fairtrade Coalition, is one of the panelists ***SORRY – THIS EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELLED***
- Wednesday 2nd March – Oxford Brookes University is hosting a talk on Food Security and Fairtrade by Rachel Sweet, Fairtrade Foundation. To book go to www.brookes.ac.uk/about-brookes/events/food-glorious-fairtrade-food–is-fairtrade-a-21st-century-food-security-solution
- Two Fairtrade sales are planned during Fairtrade Fortnight in Oxford by Trading for Development:
- 5th March at the Jericho Community Centre – more details at www.tradingfordevelopment.co.uk
- 13th March at Blackfriars Church – for information please go to www.tradingfordevelopment.co.uk
INTERNATIONAL FAIRTRADE VISITOR
- Monday 7th March Mona El-Sayed, World Fair Trade Organisation board member, is visiting Oxford from Fair Trade Egypt and will be at Fairtrade at St. Michaels from 11.30am, later visiting The Windmill and Oxford Brookes University in Headington.
- Mona is speaking at RISC in Reading on 8th March, 7pm – for details please go to http://www.risc.org.uk/events
We hope you will join us in the celebration of Fairtrade Fortnight 2016.
Fairtrade at St. Michaels is offering an interesting selection of Fairtrade breakfast samples all day on Saturdays 5th and 12th March.
PLUS 10% of selected breakfast foods!
And remember the Handle Bar Cafe is offering delicious Fairtrade breakfasts every day during FT14
We have news of two Fairtrade sales planned by Trading for Development during Fairtrade Fortnight in Oxford
5th March at the Jericho Community Centre
More details at www. Tradingfordevelopment.co.uk
13th March at Blackfriars Church
More details at
We hope you can come along and support these events.